The development of product liability law in China is in its early stages. Nevertheless, laws in China are now granting consumers the right to bring claims against domestic and foreign retailers and manufacturers. The main regulation is the 1993 Law of Protection of the Customer's Rights and the Interests and Product Quality. The new laws in this area will affect all those involved in the design, manufacture, marketing and distribution of products. As the sophistication of products and consumers increases it is important to manage claims in the most efficient way.
Our firm's representation has spanned local and regional product litigation and extends to situations in which a product is alleged to have caused injury or to have disappointed the expectations of the purchaser. We are advising our corporate clients on the steps they should take to satisfy their legal obligations and to reduce their exposure to product liability claims. Our experience also enables us to handle complex product liability litigation relating to both domestic and international products.
We have provided the following services to our clients in this area:
- Negotiation and drafting of licensing and distribution agreements;
- Due diligence investigation of consumer complaints;
- Negotiation and settlement of product quality complaints;
- Defense of product liability actions in Chinese courts;
- Representation of manufacturers and distributors in front of State and local government agencies.
Click here for
Product Liability FAQs