China Life Sciences Health Industry Client Briefing
1. What actions government will take to support the drug manufacturing industry?
Six measures will be implemented, includes: 1) encouraging M&A among drug manufacturers; 2) strictly examining and approving the qualification of commissioned production enterprises; 3) establishing a drug manufacture elimination mechanism; 4) setting and adjusting drug prices by considering the interests of qualified GMP manufacturers; 5) introducing upgraded policies for drug bidding and tendering; and 6) supporting qualified drug manufacturers in their efforts to construct preparation production lines that are aligned with international standards.
2. Will the pharmaceutical market soar in the following years? Why?
Yes. According to the report published by the Social Sciences Academic Press, the Chinese pharmaceutical market is expected to soar to 2.3 trillion yuan by 2020. China’s aging population is likely to stimulate the medicine demand and the soaring economy will boost both social insurance levels and consumption capacities.
3. How many classifications of medical devices are there?
According to the notice issued by China’s State Food and Drug Administration (SFDA), there are 17 classifications of medical devices. Theses classifications were derived from expert advice provided to the SFDA.
1) Ultrasound tumor therapy system
2) Diagnostic imaging device for the skin
3) Pressure distribution measurement cushion
4) TCM sweating detector
5) Medical image processing software
6) Fluorescence imaging and graphic reporting software
7) Ventilator heated expiratory filter
8) Medical laser fiber
9) Cochlear implant signal converter
10) Device for measuring contrast sensitivity with glare
12) Ultrasound breast imaging diagnostic device
13) Ophthalmic surgery observation device
14) Efficient medical injection head processor
15) One- stop flushing fluid processing system
16) Medical air cleanser
17) Mobile cart
4. Will HongKong and Macao health service providers be allowed to establish health institutions in mainland China?
According to the announcement made by the Ministry of Health, HongKong and Macao health service providers are able to establish health institutions in mainland China from January 2013. Health institutions, that are wholly owned, jointly invested, or cooperate with other health establishments or enterprises in mainland China may be set up.